Principal Scientist I, Oncology NGS Assay Design and Innovation
Company: Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Principal Scientist I will be part of Assay development team
in Pleasanton within the Roche Sequence Solutions business,
focusing on the optimization and early development of oncology
assays and applications for use on next-generation sequencing
platforms. We are looking for a motivated and team-oriented
individual who is passionate about finding new ways to win the war
on cancer by revolutionizing cancer diagnosis. The successful
candidate will design, lead and execute advanced independent
studies to invent and optimize future oncology NGS products,
defining study goals and analysis plans and applying advanced
scientific knowledge to complete projects.
- Designs and leads studies to test hypotheses related to project
outcomes. Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and
determines future experiments.
- Recommends innovative approaches, and/or expansion or
curtailment of investigations based on experimental data or new
scientific information arising from area of responsibility. When
appropriate, acts independently to resolve scientific problems
encountered during experimental procedures to improve productivity
- Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at
internal or external seminars/meetings. Applies advanced technical
writing skills to produce manuscripts, and reports. Prepares
internal reports, presentations, manuscripts, posters, etc.
- Participates in project planning, process updates, study design
and critical decision making. Assumes responsibility for timely
completion of studies, ensuring activities are consistent with
project critical path and responding appropriately to changing
- Works closely with other departments (e.g., Research,
Bioinformatics, Medical and Scientific Affairs, Commercial,
Marketing, Manufacturing/Operations, Global Customer Support,
Quality, Regulatory Affairs) to align and to further project
- Participates in the expeditious transfer and optimization of
products and technologies by providing scientific knowledge and
- Consistently provides expert-level technical expertise related
to Next Generation Sequencing and its application to oncology, both
within development and cross-functionally. Provides technical
advice/guidance to junior scientific staff, and serves as a role
- Ensures technical activities under delegated supervision are
conducted within internal and external guidelines and
- May have people management responsibility for direct and
indirect reports which includes hiring/firing decisions,
interviewing, selections, performance feedback, discipline, pay
decisions and handling employee grievances/complaints.
- Ph.D. in Molecular biology, Biochemistry, or related fields
with 0+ years of relevant industry experience, or B.S/M.S.in
similar disciplines with 7+ years of relevant industry
- Strong background in molecular biology and expertise in assay
optimization, experimental design, and versatile laboratory
practice is a must. Hands-on experience with clinical samples and
automation is a plus.
- Expertise in next-generation sequencing based workflows
including library prep, target enrichment and data analysis. Strong
data analysis and interpretation skill is a must.
- Familiarity with command line and some experience in at least
one high-level coding language (e.g. R, perl, python) is a must.
Knowledge of bioinformatic algorithms is a plus.
- Assay development experience is highly preferred. Familiar with
quality assurance systems and in vitro diagnostic regulations such
as CE-IVD, CLIA, and FDA US-IVD is a plus.
- Strong background in oncology is a plus.
- Team oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and ability
to take ownership and accountability of assignment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to
effectively communicate with cross-functional teams.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits
unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical
condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in connection
with the on-line application process, please email us at
Keywords: Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Pleasanton , Principal Scientist I, Oncology NGS Assay Design and Innovation, Other , Pleasanton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!