Principal Scientist I
Company: F. Hoffmann-La Roche Gruppe
Posted on: May 3, 2021
- Leads, manages and mentors a team of Scientists and Sr.
Scientists in the design, planning and execution of assigned
research. Performs hand-on research activities at the bench.
- Generates technical requirements for new instruments and next
generation sequencing platform. Validates workflows and
applications for new next generation sequencing platform.
- Independently defines and plans project goals, and achieves
them with the help of the team. Makes recommendations, and when
appropriate, acts independently to resolve scientific problems
encountered during experimental procedures. Ensures activities are
consistent with project critical path, and responds appropriately
to changing priorities.
- Accurately, consistently, and promptly records experimental
methods, materials and results in electronic laboratory notebooks.
Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions and
implements/documents process improvements.
- Integrates previous and current results to determine next
experimental steps and the impact on long-term project goals.
- Guides team members to the planning, prioritization, execution
and analysis of experiments, and helps them analyze and interpret
results, generate reports, troubleshoot problems and formulate
solutions based on scientific knowledge and past experience.
- Presents findings at group or departmental meetings. Applies
advanced technical writing skills to produce reports
- and documents. Prepares summaries, memos, internal reports,
presentations, manuscripts, etc.
- Serves as a resource to other departments (e.g., Development,
Manufacturing/Operations, Quality, Marketing, Regulatory Affairs,
Clinical Studies, Bioinformatics and International Technical
Services), provides timely response and follow-ups. Participates in
the expeditious transfer of products and technologies by providing
scientific knowledge and assistance.
- Has supervisory responsibilities; provides guidance to new team
members and builds professional relationships.
- Work involves troubleshooting and resolving difficult problems
in creative ways. Takes a new perspective on existing solutions,
exploring and implementing new concepts and methodologies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly
prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individuals race,
color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical
disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
- Formal Training/Education: MS required in Biology, Chemistry,
Biological Science or equivalent. PhD preferred.
- Typically 3 years of relevant experience, 6+ years
- Experience in team management and mentoring.
- Knowledge and experience in experimental design, data analysis,
and data and concept presentation.
- Strong communication and organization skills.
- General molecular biology hands-on skills.
- Experience in nucleic acid sample preparation, including DNA /
RNA extractions, QC, library construction, target enrichment.
- Experience with new instrument and platform development.
- Experience with various types of clinical specimen and sample
types for NGS, including purified DNA, bacterial pellets, fresh and
FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.
- Experience in verification / validation experimental design,
statistical data analysis and interpretation.
- Travel Requirements: 5% Based on business needs
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in connection
with the on-line application process, please email us at
This website contains information on products which is targeted
to a wide range of audiences and could contain product details or
information otherwise not accessible or valid in your country.
Please be aware that we do not take any responsibility for
accessing such information which may not comply with any legal
process, regulation, registration or usage in the country of your
Keywords: F. Hoffmann-La Roche Gruppe, Pleasanton , Principal Scientist I, Other , Pleasanton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!