Continuous Improvement Manager
Company: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Posted on: June 3, 2021
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll
do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for
cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe.
Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in
achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
This position will be based in Pleasanton, CA.
How will you make an impact?
This position will lead the Pleasanton PPI team and partner with
functional leaders to drive continuous improvements to enable
profitable growth, improve quality, elevate the customer experience
and increase employee engagement The position partners with
functional leaders to build lean capability and streamline
processes. The role involves facilitating the lean fundamentals,
such as Strategy deployment, visual management/5S, value stream
mapping, leader standard work, metric boards, stand-up meetings and
project funnel development/execution. It also involves developing
capability in these areas by training teams and providing coaching
to all levels.
What will you do?
As part of the Practical Process Improvement (PPI) Business
System discipline, the individual will facilitate a wide range of
lean tools, including, but not limited to, standard work, process
and product 3P, value stream mapping, error-proofing, Kanban,
material flow, and 8-step problem solving. You will lead a team in
the following areas:
- Promote a learning organization that embraces continuous
improvement and leverages the talent of the organization to execute
the strategy and achieve its business and financial
- Partner with leaders in many functional areas to facilitate
strategy deployment and establish and refine KPI's in the areas of
customer, finance, people and quality to measure success of
- Challenge organizational leaders as necessary to create an
action-biased culture of continuous improvement and proliferate PPI
and Lean thinking
- Lead/work with functional teams to streamline processes to
improve the customer experience, enable profitable growth and
become more efficient.
- Execute and mature KPI Leadership and the Lean Management
System (tiered daily management systems, gemba walks, and leader
standard work) and other coaching tools to transform the
- Provides PPI Business System Program support through project
traceability, pipeline building and productivity tracking and
reporting. Utilize consistent tools and templates and other
governance mechanisms as needed.
- Partner with Finance personnel to evaluate project savings
estimates, validate reported PPI benefits, and ensure accurate
accounting of PPI Productivity.
- Manage some high-level cross-functional improvement projects as
a project manager.
- Improve the decision-making model and problem solving
capabilities within high performance teams to increase autonomy and
the pace of change at all levels
- Work with the expanded team to develop/promote/standardize the
PPI Business System further.
How will you get here?
Bachelor's degree in engineering, science, operations or
- Advancing roles from disciplines such as operations, finance,
commercial, R&D/engineering, quality, or product management
with indirect or direct leadership
- A Strong Lean Practitioner mindset with 5+ years of experience
and a 'hands-on' track record of leading teams indirectly to
- Experience in the following tools is preferred:
Strategic Deployment/X matrix, Value stream mapping, visual
management/5S, Kanban, standard work, metric boards, gemba,
stand-up meetings and project funnel development.
- Expertise in problem-solving utilizing a formal
- Hands-on experience in managing cross functional projects or
changes throughout all levels of business
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office suite; Word, Excel,
Project, Visio, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with and
positively influence leadership and all levels of the
- A holistic thinker who can look company-wide to integrate and
streamline systems for optimal benefit.
- Catalyst to drive continuous improvement in both
non-operational and operational areas, including connecting the
cross-functional resources to remove waste along the extended value
- Self-Starter and independent
- Passion and enthusiasm for driving improvement and leading
- Proven track record for developing, training, and coaching
- Great communicator, including solid written, oral and
- Excellent Financial Acume
Keywords: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Pleasanton , Continuous Improvement Manager, Other , Pleasanton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!