Staff Scientist, Applications Development (Molecular Diagnostics)
Company: Bio-Rad Laboratories
Posted on: June 9, 2021
At the Clinical Diagnostics Group (a division of Bio-Rad), we
are undergoing a rapid evolution, which includes building an
R&D team focused on molecular diagnostics, leveraging droplet
digital PCR (ddPCR), which uses microfluidic chips to generate
nanoliter-sized droplets as reaction vessels to power this
extremely precise digital nucleic acid measurement method. Bio-Rad
has established the market lead in digital PCR and now we're
expanding into molecular diagnostics for our clinical laboratory
customers. We believe our partition technology (creating hundreds
of thousands of droplets) will open up new avenues in the clinical
diagnostics markets. To support this evolution, we are looking for
a talented Applications Lead to be a member of the R&D Mol Dx
leadership team for the Clinical Diagnostics Group's efforts to
expand into Reproductive Health, Infectious Diseases and Human
What We Are Looking For:
An exceptional candidate passionate about improving healthcare,
with a significant track record of developing novel assays and who
is highly motivated in applying ddPCR technology to clinical
problems. The successful candidate will thrive in a matrixed
environment and will demonstrate technical acumen coupled with
experience interacting with experts in the Reproductive Health
field (NIPT, Carrier Screening, Pre-eclampsia, Endometriosis).
- Lead the creation of content and data, with support from
commercial and scientific affair team partners, for application
notes, scientific posters and journal publications to advance
partnerships with key opinion leaders in the human
genetics/reproductive health fields.
- Establish close partnerships with Marketing, Scientific Affairs
and Business Development teams to drive timely and effective
collaborations with external clinical and academic partners.
- Design, perform and troubleshoot experiments with the goal of
developing novel molecular assays on digital PCR for external
- Design and execute experiments, perform data analysis and
effectively communicate results to technical and non-technical
- Write documentation (plans, protocols, reports, manuscripts)
and make presentations as needed.
- Provide technical support for transfer of assays and
applications to external partners for their analytical and clinical
- Present on specific product applications and scientific
findings at conferences, seminars/webinars, and tradeshows.
- Serve as consultant and support the Assay Development team on
experimental design, assay design and data analysis that meet
project objectives as needed.
- Manage alpha and beta testing, early access activities for new
products in development.
- Mentor and engage more junior scientists and team members to
create high-performing Molecular Diagnostics team.
- Participate in regular data and design reviews.
- Identify and develop new technology suitable for intellectual
property expansion and work with legal teams to file patents.
- Support the development of the physical product specifications
and configurations that deliver the ideal product performance.
- Must be willing to travel up to 25% of the time (once travel is
allowed and safe again).
- Successfully interact and align with various functional roles
as needed (including Marketing, Project Managers, Software
Engineers, Computational Biologists, Biostatisticians, QA, RA, and
Manufacturing) within the Digital Biology and Clinical Diagnostics
Groups to drive projects to completion.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Genetics or related field with 8+
years of industry experience (or MS with 10+ years of experience)
highlighted with successful collaborations with experts in the
- Track record of self-motivated design, execution and analysis
of experiments on aggressive schedules in a rapidly changing
- Experience with nucleic acid technology relating to PCR, qPCR,
and digital PCR with special emphasis on developing highly
multiplexed PCR assays. This position requires wet lab
- Highly knowledgeable in nucleic acid sample preparation and
characterization is essential. Prior experience working with
cell-free DNA and/or creating nucleic acid calibrators and controls
- Detailed working knowledge of modern sequencing methods, the
field of reproductive health and human genomics, and informatics.
Demonstrated understanding of all "wet lab" elements in and around
NGS, including sample and target preparation, amplification and
- Clinical/diagnostic laboratory experience desirable.
- Experience in laboratory-developed tests is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, logical and
analytical thinking, ability to multitask, work independently and
on a team, and the ability to learn, troubleshoot, and problem
solve are essential.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in high-impact
journals, intellectual property filings, presentations at
conferences is essential.
- Experience in nucleic acid amplification and/or Reproductive
Health (NIPT, Carrier Screening, Pre-eclampsia, Endometriosis, etc)
- Skilled at writing clear plans, protocols, reports and
- Excellent cross-functional team participation skills - thrives
in a dynamic, fast-paced organization and matrixed
- Solid track record of building strong relationships and working
with different personality types and all levels inside and outside
- Displays natural integrity, humility and authenticity.
- Is committed to Diversity and Inclusion.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical
diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more
than 8,000 employees and a global network of operations serving our
customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to
provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products
that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process
and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has
been authorized by a Bio-Rad Recruiting Representative. Please do
not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay
for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Keywords: Bio-Rad Laboratories, Pleasanton , Staff Scientist, Applications Development (Molecular Diagnostics), Other , Pleasanton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!